Tennessee man sentenced to 90 months in prison for assaulting law enforcement officer in capitol crime | USAO-DC

WASHINGTON — A Tennessee man was sentenced today to 90 months in prison for assaulting a law enforcement officer during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021. His actions and those of others have disrupted a joint session of the United States Congress convened to verify and count electoral votes related to the presidential election.

Albuquerque Head, 43, of Kingsport, Tennessee, was convicted in the District of Columbia.

According to court documents, on January 6, 2021, Head was among the rioters participating in the assault on law enforcement officers in the Lower West Terrace of the Capitol and the arch leading to the building. A group of officers from the United States Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) formed a line at the gate to keep the crowds from entering through the archway. At around 3:14 p.m., Head joined the rioters under the arch in pushing against the police line. He advanced through the Ark tunnel area to the front of the crowd, took the riot shields from the other rioters, then used them to hit the police.

At around 3:15 p.m., Head used a riot shield to push officers back past the police cordon and at one point used his hand to punch the hand of a Metropolitan Police Department officer. A few minutes later, Head wrapped his arm around that officer’s neck and pulled him into the mob of rioters outside the tunnel, shouting “I got one!” The officer attempted to free himself from the hold, but Head pulled him further into the crowd for 25 seconds.

After the officer walked away from Head, rioters assaulted, shocked and stole the officer’s badge and radio while he was in the crowd. He was threatened, kicked, punched, pushed, grabbed and hit with objects by the crowd. The MPD officer wore a uniform, a marked helmet and a tactical vest during the assault.

Head was arrested on April 14, 2021. He pleaded guilty on May 6, 2022 to assaulting, resisting, or obstructing officers. After his prison sentence, Head will be placed on probation for three years. He must also pay restitution in an amount to be determined later by the court.

Two co-defendants were also charged with participating in the same attack. A co-defendant, Kyle Young, 38, of Redfield, Iowa, pleaded guilty on May 5, 2022 to assaulting, resisting or obstructing officers. Young was sentenced on September 27, 2022 to 86 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution.

The other co-defendant, Thomas F. Sibick, 37, of Buffalo, New York, pleaded not guilty.

The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Counterterrorism Section of the National Security Division of the Department of Justice. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Tennessee.

The case was investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department and FBI field offices in Washington and Knoxville. Head was identified as No. 111 in Washington field office briefing photos. Valuable assistance was provided by the United States Capitol Police.

In the 21 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 880 people have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 270 people charged with assault or obstruction of the ‘law application. The investigation is still ongoing.

Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit tips.fbi.gov.